Monday, April 02, 2007

Just give me my coffee

I've certainly written about my coffee addiction on the blog before, but this year it had been something I've gotten away from.

No longer living a block away from a coffee shop, and no longer needing to flirt with the cute barista behind the counter, it hasn't been a part of my daily routine. I've gotten coffee here or there at a place across from campus, but I wouldn't have categorized it as a *regular* practice. This has been good for my budget.

But this semester has been a bit tougher on me since I've been teaching the 8am class. Getting up every morning while it's still dark out has been a major adjustment for me. Mostly, I've struggled quite a bit with learning to go to bed at a more reasonable time. I have always been a bit of a night owl.

Now that I've added a new boyfriend into the mix, my morning caffeine fix has become more of an imperative. Due to sleeping in a bed with someone again (always an adjustment at first), and extra-curricular...ahem...activities, I haven't been getting very much sleep.

Hence, the extreme need for caffeine.

The problem is that I don't live around the corner from FP anymore (tear). The options I have as I drive to campus from both TK's apartment and my own are two Starbucks and a Bruegger's (bagel place). It's not as convenient to stop at the Bruegger's on my way from TK's, so I usually end up dashing into Starbucks.

Let me say that I have always had a bit of an issue with Starbucks.

Don't make me defend it, but I'm a bit turned off by the pervasiveness of the chain, as well as its association with yuppie America. I feel a little dirty when I go to a Starbucks, and not to mention I don't really like the coffee very much. I'd say it's a tad weak, in fact.

But I have had quite a few friends who have worked there. More friends than one hand can count, and I feel badly knocking the place that pays my friends.

But I do have a bone to pick with Starbucks' employees.

Before I started drinking specialty coffees - mochas, lattes, etc, I was always a bit intimidated by the ordering process. I couldn't keep track of all of the options. Tall. Grande. Skim. Non-fat. Soy. One shot. Vanilla. No foam. And on. And on, ad infinitum.

I remember a particular conversation amongst friends who were Starbucks' employees that their biggest pet peeve was that customers could never order in the right order.

I've always been self-conscious about making sure that I order in the right order...but also annoyed that every Starbucks employee will correct you if you order in the wrong order. It's almost like they can't make the drink if you utter it incorrectly. It's annoying, yes?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Today, I thought I finally had it right.

Everyday I try so hard. SO HARD. But everyday I eff it up and am exposed as someone who isn't capable of coming up with the right order.

"I'll have a grande iced skim latte, please."

"ICED GRANDE SKIM LATTE."

Does it really matter if I say "iced" or "grande" first?

Seriously?

Roar.

It's a bit condescending isn't it?

Maybe I'm overreacting, or maybe I'm too sensitive about my coffee order at 7am. Regardless, I need to find a new coffee place to stop at.

1 comment:

E said...

I had a student this week ask me if I get headaches if I don't drink coffee. I hadn't even noticed that they have NEVER seen me come into class without a large coffee in hand. Ahhh, sweet nector of attempted consciousness.