Monday, August 20, 2007

A little piece of heaven


This post is almost a month in the making. On July 23rd, I picked up the keys to my new apartment. I was so busy this summer working and getting ready for the fall that I didn't even post about looking for an apartment in the first place. But I did, and I found one, and it's great!

I've wanted my own place for a long time. In fact, ever since I was a young girl I've thought about what it would be like. I think I have spent more time in my life thinking about what it would be like to have my own place than I have thinking about what it would be like to get married (the fantasy of a lot of young girls). Almost every astrological description of a Taurus personality includes something about a focus on the home environment - wanting to make it beautiful, etc., and it has always rung true for me.

I've had some fabulous roommates in my history (hi girls!), but I've always moved into apartments where the roommate(s) have already been well-established in the apartment. This usually means that it was already furnished and decorated when I moved in. In some ways this always made me feel confined to my bedroom because the common areas didn't have my stamp on them so to speak.

As the end of my lease in Raleigh drew near, I really wanted to find a place of my own if I could afford it. I'm working three jobs in the fall to make sure I can, but so far it's definitely worth it. (Check with me again when I'm knee-deep in papers!).

I moved in at the end of my summer job. Since then I've been working fast and furiously to make it feel like home. I moved into a two bedroom two bath apartment. So far I'm happy with every room except the second bedroom. I need to buy a desk for it, but the finances need to be under wraps before I buy a nice one.

TK and I are talking about moving in together in six months or so. We spend almost every night together now, but for now it's good to still have two places. It gives me a few months to still have some me-time in my apartment. I will be excited to have him here *officially* once he does move in though. It will be a big step for me and for us, but it still feels right. I couldn't be happier.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying another cup of coffee at my small dining room table. Check out the photo of my living room. The couch and love seat were a great Craigslist find!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yay--I'm so happy you are enjoying your new home!! :o) The living room looks beautiful--you are a great decorator!

Anonymous said...

It's too bad I don't live closer. I've always wanted to give someone a space heater as a house-warming present.